A tree stump can be very unsightly in your yard. The good thing is that it can be eliminated in two ways. The first option is by physically removing it and unearthing its root system using a backhoe. However, this method can cause significant damage to the surrounding area. The second option is grinding the stump with a stump grinder. The stump will be ground until it is no longer visible, ideally 3-6 inches below the earth. This method is what homeowners typically choose because of the minimal impact it causes their yard. Total stump removal, on the other hand, is often done when there is foundational work such as a house foundation or road work in the area.
Stump grinding is relatively easy if you use proper equipment, but it can be a dirty job and may cause damage to the site. At Brees Tree Service, we make this process convenient and clean for our clients. With the use of our Morbark or Veneer stump grinders, no stump is too hard for us to ground.
The difficulty of removing a stump is based on different factors such as its size, age, and species. The most challenging stump to the ground is a hardwood stump due to the density of the wood fibers, while conifers are the easiest to ground. Also, older and decaying stumps are easier to work on as well as smaller stumps. Whatever the factor is, we will be able to ground it efficiently and effectively.
We encourage you to avoid hiring companies that are not licensed and insured because you are putting yourself at risk by doing so. If an accident happens, you will be held financially responsible for it. You will be liable under your homeowner’s insurance policy if an unprecedented event occurs. We are licensed and insured to protect you and your property.
Stump Grinding Process
We use the following guidelines when grinding tree stumps:
- With the use of a rake and a shovel, we will eliminate loose rock, debris, and wood to make the area clean before grinding.
- We will cut the trunk of the tree down as close to the ground if it isn’t done yet. This will lessen the amount of wood material needed to be ground.
- We will place the stump grinder over the stump, lowering the blades into it to start the grinding process.
- The process will go on as we move the grinder back and forth on the stump, efficiently grinding it to the ground. We will end the process when the stump is 3-6 inches below the ground.
- When stump grinding is done, we will clean the area of wood chips and other debris. We can stack wood for you or recycle them.
We can finish the grinding process in 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the type of stump. If you have multiple stumps, we can offer you multi-stump discounts to help you save on cost. Please give us a call for your free estimate on our stump grinding service.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday – 7am – 6pm
Saturday – 8am – 5pm
Sunday – Appointments Only